The International Surfski Coaches Seminar
Hosted by Dawid Mocke
Wed 16 Oct – Sat 19 Oct, 2019
Fish Hoek, South Africa.Intention to attend form
Announcing the first International Surfski Coaches Seminar
The Surfski Coaches Seminar is a structured 4 day seminar hosted by Dawid Mocke. The seminar is for all current and prospective surfski coaches and instructors involved in teaching and coaching surfski paddling. The seminar will particularly benefit coaches or instructors that are fairly new to the sport and do not have a long background knowledge of surfski paddling.
Attendees should be competent paddlers who want to coach and instruct surfski paddling with a view to furthering and growing the sport. Whether you are a volunteer at a club, or you are coaching professionally by doing something you love, this seminar is for you.
Once completed, attendees will be able to introduce, coach and instruct surfski paddling to prospective and current paddlers, from a beginner to intermediate level.
Seminar Venue – Fish Hoek, South Africa
The seminar will be held at the Surfskischool headquarters in, Fish Hoek, Cape Town, South Africa. This is the site where Dawid and Nikki Mocke started the Surfski School back in 2002. Since then literally thousands of paddlers have walked onto Fish Hoek’s white sandy beach to take their first strokes in a surfski and paddle through its gentle surf break. The venue is ideally located right on the beach and has a spacious and comfortable clubhouse, with facilities, from where we will host the workshops. Attendees will stay in Fish Hoek, walking distance from the beach. In between sessions attendees will be able to do extra paddling should they wish, or enjoy some of the local tourist sites and attractions.
Once completed attendees will confidently be able to further the sport of surfski paddling through coaching and instruction, using established instruction skills and methods. These methods are based on the successful curriculum designed and used at our own surfski school, as well as years of experience in teaching and coaching surfski paddling to ALL level of paddlers and for ALL conditions.
The Seminar will cover the following:
- How to take a complete beginner paddler from their first stroke to doing their first race
- The fundamentals of teaching, and coaching, surfski paddling
- Simple methods of surfski instruction that can be coached at one or multiple sessions
- Introducing complete beginners to surfski paddling
- Explaining and instructing paddling technique – from basics, to fundamentals and drills
- Teaching balance and improving paddlers’ ocean skills
- Working with a groups of people, with varying abilities, on open water
- Setting up and managing a coaching area
- Implementing and enforcing Safety standards
For enrollment and participation in the Surfski Coaches Seminar:
- Please complete an “Intention to Attend” application form below.
- Travel to Fish Hoek, South Africa
- Complete an intensive and practical training week
- Do Practical coaching experience at the Fish Hoek based Surfski School
- Theoretical work and exam to test: understanding of various ocean paddling principles, working with groups and individuals, administrative tasks, thorough knowledge and understanding of Operations
- Practical exam demonstrating knowledge and understanding of above
- Lots of paddling and some more paddling…and lots of fun!
ZAR 19 600
- 5 nights accommodation from Tuesday evening 15 Oct until Saturday evening 19 Oct
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Breakfast and 3 group dinners
- Surfski rental
- 2 seminar and coaching sessions daily (one theory, one practical)
- Lots and lots of paddling
Flights to Cape Town International Airport, dinners and meals, paddles and paddling gear (eg PFD, clothing etc), local tours and additional activities.
The Seminar will have limited space of maximum 10 attendees.
The first day of the seminar is Wednesday 16 Oct, last day is Sat 19 Oct.