The Unbrok3n K3 combination of Matt Coutts, Brett McDonald and Ben Dallin became the first K3 to take line honours at the Avon Descent in Australia. The trio crossed the line in 08:49:01.79, almost 20 minutes ahead of Brendan Rice who was the first K1 in the 2015 edition of the 42 year old, 124 km long event. The trio were relieved to make it to the finish in first place, particularly after nearly wrapping the front of the boat earlier on day 2.
The 2015 race was set to be cut short by some 50 km due to low water levels, but thankfully last minute rains boosted water levels and the 380 competitors were able to enjoy the Avon in all it’s glory.
Summary of results:
1. UNBROK3N- Ben Dallin, Brett Mcdonald & Matt Coutts 08:49:01.79
2. BBB- Joanne Barram, Paul Brierley & Troy Baird 11:22:30.13
1. Wendy and Kevin- Wendy & White Kevin White 09:50:07.68
2. PT/ML- Mark Lawson & Peter Tomczak 09:53:00.53
3. Team VP- Peter Caldwell & Vlad Vanek 10:46:36.67
1. Brendan RICE 09:08:43.84
2. Matthew DEAN 09:11:07.10
3. James MORFITT 09:20:39.83